Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hey -- I've been "tagged". Color me "embarrassed".

I got tagged. It would kind of be exciting, since this is my first time being tagged, except for the subject of the tag:

Open the book you're currently reading to page 161 and copy the fifth sentence on the page, then tag 5 bloggers.

Dammit, Kristina, you're exposing my intellectual deficiencies. *blush* The only books I am reading right now are knitting books. So, I decided to take a page count of the books currently in rotation:
98 pages....no.
146 pages....no.
122 pages....no.
159 pages...damn! So close.

I finally found one book that I have read within the last three days that reaches page 161--
"Note: One-liter plastic soda bottles can be used to shape the bag."

Book: Handknit Holidays by Melanie Falick, which I highly recommend if you don't already have it-- it's one of those books where you want to knit every project in it. Great collection of designers...including my idol Annie Modesitt...and btw, I finally got Romantic Hand Knits this weekend. Incredible. That woman is so friggin' inventive. She is the Stravinsky of knitting.

Ok, so now I have to tag five more people. Don't get mad at me if I tag you. Just start reading an actual book, quick.

Oh- and while logging onto Blogger tonight, I found what may well become my favorite blog of all time:

The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks

Not only is this a HUGE pet peeve of mine (being one of those unreasonable, demanding people that expect high school graduates to possess mastery over the basics of English grammar, spelling and punctuation) it's also funny because I used to have a landlord that did this in all the notices he'd post for the tenants -- "Make sure to 'pick up' after your 'guests' this 'holiday season' and to observe the 'noise rules'. Tenants causing a disturbance 'after hours' will be pestered with more 'superfluous and unwarranted' use of quotation marks. And don't forget the exclamation points!!" (This guy also overused exclamation points, often in multiples.)

His notes had absolutely no effect on my compliance with the terms of the lease, but they amused me no end. I left my cigarette "butts" on the patio anyway!!!

The exclamation points thing (and the general topic of sensitivity to punctuation use) reminds me of two of my favorite Seinfeld episodes: 1) the one where Elaine breaks up with her boyfriend for not using an exclamation point in a phone message he took down for her and 2) the one where Elaine goes into business with her old boss in the muffin top store: "Top of the Muffin TO YOU!"

For the record-- I took the boyfriend's side in that exclamation point dispute and Elaine's side in the muffin top store dispute. Not that I don't understand the importance of appropriate punctuation; if I was in a relationship and discovered that the partner in question was a serial "superfluous quotation mark user" it could possibly be a deal-breaker.

OK, It is officially time for me to get some "sleep" now. Off to bed!!!

5 comments:

CraftyGryphon said...

Never go on Zwinky.com if you value your punctuational sanity.

If you've never read Lynne Truss's Eats, Shoots and Leaves, do. You'd enjoy it, I think.

(I envy you your Ravelry invite. Someday, I'll get mine.)

Knit and fall back in it said...

I was tagged in this meme too. I was also reading a knitting book. I am obsessed, if I am not knitting, I am reading about it. yikes. The only thing that bugs me more than the inappropriate use of quotation marks in the written word are those who feel like they have to use quotation marks when they talk. You know, the finger thing...aauugghh. Drives me nuts.

Kristina B said...

Yes, do read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" - I wonder if it has 161 pages, though! ;-)

Thanks for the "great" quotation blog. LOL

Kristina B said...

I can't believe I missed the point about landlords' letters on my first read of your post!

I can't begin to tell you how many such letters, tenancy agreements, etc. I have seen. My all time favourite (which I will never forget - I had a photocopy of it at one time but lost it) was an illegal eviction notice written on a Coffee Time doughnut store napkin (the tenant would have to attend at the Coffee Time to pay the rent in cash).

The (undated) notice read in full:

You have one (1) week to "get out". If you do not "get out" by the end of the one (1) week, the Sherif is coming to "change" your "lock".

Knit and fall back in it said...

Happy New Year